Attend LIVE interactive Internet Conference Presentation of this book.
Timeless wisdom and a practical program for
vibrant health from the forgotten 1910 classic!
1. Before a Human Being can think in the Certain Way which will cause diseases to be healed, that person must believe in certain truths which are here stated:
2. All things are made from one Living Substance, which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe. While all visible things are made from one Living Substance, yet this Substance -- in its first formless condition -- is in and through all the visible forms that It has made. Its life is in All, and its intelligence is in All.
3. This Substance creates by thought, and its method is by taking the form of that which it thinks about. The thought of a form held by this substance causes it to assume that form; the thought of a motion causes it to institute that motion. Forms are created by this substance in moving itself into certain orientations or positions. When original Substance wishes to create a given form, it thinks of the motions which will produce that form. When it wishes to create a world, it thinks of the motions, perhaps extending through ages, which will result in its coming into the attitude and form of the world -- and these motions are made. When it wishes to create an oak tree, it thinks of the sequences of movement, perhaps extending through ages, which will result in the form of an oak tree -- and these motions are made. The particular sequences of motion by which differing forms should be produced were established in the beginning; they are changeless. Certain motions instituted in the Formless Substance will forever produce certain forms.
4. The human body is formed from the Original Substance, and is the result of certain motions, which first existed as thoughts of Original Substance. The motions which produce, renew, and repair the body are called Functions, and these Functions are of two classes: voluntary and involuntary.
5. The involuntary functions are under the control of the Principle of Health in a person, and are performed in a perfectly healthy manner so long as a person thinks in a certain way. The voluntary functions of life are breathing, eating, drinking, and sleeping. These, entirely or in part, are under the direction of a person's conscious mind, and THAT person can perform them in a perfectly healthy way if he or she will. If the person does not perform them in a healthy way, he or she cannot long be well.
6. So we see that if a person thinks in a certain way, and breathes, eats, drinks, and sleeps in a corresponding way, that person will be well.
7. The involuntary functions of a person's life are under the direct control of the Principle of Health, and so long as a person thinks in a perfectly healthy way, these functions are perfectly performed, for the action of the Principle of Health is largely directed by a person's conscious thought, affecting their subconscious mind.
8. A Human Being is a Thinking Center, capable of originating thought, and as we do not know everything, we make mistakes and think error. Not knowing everything, we believe things to be true which are not true. If a person holds in their thoughts the idea of diseased and abnormal functioning and conditions, and so perverts the action of the Principle of Health, causes diseased and abnormal functioning and conditions within their own body.
9. In the Original Substance there are held only the thoughts of perfect motion, perfect and healthy function, complete life. God never thinks disease or imperfection. But for countless ages people have held thoughts of disease, abnormality, old age, and death. And the perverted functioning resulting from these thoughts has become a part of the inheritance of the human race. Our ancestors have, for many generations, held imperfect ideas concerning human form and functioning, thus we begin life with racial sub-conscious impressions of imperfection and disease. This term "racial sub-conscious impressions" is also known as collective consciousness.
10. Inherited impressions are not natural, not a part of the plan of nature. The purpose of nature can be nothing else than the perfection of life. This we see from the very nature of life itself. It is the nature of life to continually advance toward more perfect living; advancement is the inevitable result of the very act of living. Increase is always the result of active living; whatever lives must live more and more. The seed, lying in the granary, has life, but it is not living. Put it into the soil having correct environment and it becomes active, and at once begins to gather to itself from the surrounding substance, and to build a plant form. It will so cause increase that a seed head will be produced containing 30, 60, or a hundred seeds, each having as much life as the first.
11. Life, by living, increases.
12. Life cannot live without increasing, and the fundamental impulse of life is to live. It is in response to this fundamental impulse that Original Substance works, and creates. God must live, and God cannot live except as God creates and increases. In multiplying forms, God is moving on to live more.
13. The universe is a Great Advancing Life, and the purpose of Nature is the advancement of life toward perfect functioning and perfect health.
14. The purpose of Nature, so far as a human being is concerned, is that we should be continuously advancing into more life, and progressing toward perfect life functioning; and that we should live the most complete life possible in our present sphere of action. This must be so, because That which lives in a human being is seeking more life.
15. Give a little child a pencil and paper, and he or she begins to draw crude figures. That which lives in the child is trying to express Itself in art. Give the child a set of blocks, and he or she will try to build something. That which lives in the child is seeking expression in architecture. Seat a boy at a piano, and he will try to draw harmony from the keys. That which lives in him is trying to express Itself in music.
16. That which lives in a human being is always seeking to live more, and since a person lives most when well, the Principle of Nature in the person can seek only health. The natural state of a human being is a state of perfect health, and everything in the person and in nature tends toward health.
17. Sickness can have no place in the thought of Original Substance, for it is by its own nature continually impelled toward the fullest and most perfect life -- therefore, toward health. A human being, as existing in the thought of the Formless Substance, has perfect health. Disease, which is abnormal or perverted function -- motion imperfectly made, or made in the direction of imperfect life -- has no place in the thought of the Thinking Stuff.
18. The Supreme Mind never thinks of disease. Disease was not created or ordained by God, or sent forth from God. It is wholly a product of separate consciousness, of the individual thought of a person. God, the Formless Substance, does not see disease, think disease, know disease, or recognize disease. Disease is recognized only by the thought of humanity; God thinks nothing but health.
19. From all the foregoing, we see that health is a fact or TRUTH in the Original Substance from which we are all formed, and that disease is imperfect functioning, resulting from the imperfect thoughts of people, past and present. If a person's thoughts of himself had always been those of perfect health, a person could not possibly now be otherwise than perfectly healthy.
20. A human being in perfect health is the thought of Original Substance, and a human being in imperfect health is the result of his own failure to think perfect health, and to perform the voluntary functions of life in a healthy way. We will here arrange in a syllabus the basic truths of the Science of Being Well:
There is a Thinking Substance from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe. It is the life of All.
The thought of a form in this Substance causes the form; the thought of a motion produces the motion. In relation to humanity, the thoughts of this Substance are always of perfect functioning and perfect health.
A human being is a thinking center, capable of original thought; and our thought has power over our own functioning. By thinking imperfect thoughts an individual has caused imperfect and perverted functioning; and by performing the voluntary functions of life in a perverted manner, the person has assisted in causing disease.
If a person will think only thoughts of perfect health, that person can cause within theirself the functioning of perfect health; all the Power of Life will be exerted to assist that person. But this healthy functioning will not continue unless a person performs the external, or voluntary, functions of living in a healthy manner.
A human being's first step must be to learn how to think perfect health; and our second step is to learn how to eat, drink, breathe, and sleep in a perfectly healthy way. If a person takes these two steps, that person will certainly become well, and remain so.
You're welcome to attend...
LIVE Interactive Internet Conferencing about the
Timeless wisdom contained within a practical program for
vibrant health from the forgotten 1910 classic!
Back-up link to LIVE Interactive Internet Conferencing
Interact with other readers....
VERBAL Dialogues with on-line TEXT
for follow-along Reading via
Internet VoIP Conferencing